First of all, apologies because my list came out late this year. Too much alcohol can hinder your perspective of time. Oops.
Musical highlights have got to be the ‘NSYNC at the 2013 VMAs. Suddenly I realized all the boybands of today cannot hold a candle to those of the 90’s and 00’s. My playlist of boyband songs is sacred on my ipod.
Then I started rapping to the likes of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (“trust me, on my I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T shit, hustling… chasing dreams since I was fourteen”). Well, it’s been a long time since I wanted to learn the lyrics of a rap song. Then there’s Ed Sheeran who writes and sings crazy-beautiful lyrics and songs.
This year’s Grammys is gonna be the shit!
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Can’t Hold Us / Thrift Shop
- Paramore – Still Into You
- Taylor Swift – I Knew You Were Trouble
- Ed Sheeran – The A Team / Kiss Me
- The Script – If You Could See Me Now
- .fun – Carry On
- Imagine Dragons – Demons / Radioactive
- Capital Cities – Safe and Sound
- OneRepublic – Counting Stars / If I Lose Myself
- One Direction – One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks) / Best Song Ever
- Rihanna featuring Mikky Ekko – Stay
- Maroon 5 – Love Somebody
- Bruno Mars – When I Was Your Man
- Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
- Lauryn Hill – Can’t Take My Eyes Off You
Posted in music
Tagged annuals, bruno mars, capital cities, ed sheeran, imagine dragons, justin timberlake, kj:playlist, macklemore, maroon 5, music videos, one direction, paramore, taylor swift
I’m madly in love with my playlist!
I’m something of a “serial artiste listener” so an artiste usually appears more than once in my playlist if I’m into them at that moment.
- The Lumineers – Ho Hey
- The Lumineers – Stubborn Love
- Gotye featuring Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know
- Gotye – Eyes Wide Open
- Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait
- fun. – Carry On
- fun. – Some Nights
- Of Monsters and Men – Little Talks
- Gin Blossoms – Til I Hear It From You
- Ed Sheeran – The A Team
- Ed Sheeran – Kiss Me
- Ed Sheeran – Lego House
- Muse – Madness
- TLC – No Scrubs
- TLC – Unpretty
- Glee Cast – No Scrubs
- Pink – Try
Posted in music
Well, I spent lots of this year listening to old songs – rediscovering old gems I didn’t know I had as well as classics that I wasn’t exposed to earlier. OMG, who knew Foreigner sounded so good?
2012 has been a good year for concerts and lots of what I listened to depended on the concerts I was going. I think the most memorable was the GREATEST HITS CONCERT back in February. a1! The last three days of February was madness and I didn’t regret a minute of it. Plus, I am now the proud owner of TWO autographed albums by a1!
The London Olympics brought back my love of the Spice Girls and the notion of GIRL POWER! Also from UK – One Direction! Liam Payne!!!
Though I have not started watching Season 4 of Glee but I still listen to the songs each week and needless to say, I love their songs from their Grease-inspired episode, Glease. OMG Darren Criss still sounds so good and I love every song from his mouth. #20 is a tribute to him.
Lastly, movie soundtracks! Rock of Ages introduced good ol’ classic rock and Pitch Perfect was aca-madness! Skylar Astin’s voice as well as Anna Kendrick’s performance of ‘Cups’. And, the introduction of Foreigner! They have been featured in several episodes of Supernatural but I didn’t really notice them till now.
- Keane – Sovereign Light Cafe / On The Road / Disconnected
- Snow Patrol – Called Out In The Dark / The Weight Of Love
- One Direction – One Thing / I Wish / Save You Tonight
- Train – Drive By
- Parachute – Kiss Me Slowly
- Gotye Featuring Kimbra – Somebody I Used To Know
- Kelly Clarkson – Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)
- .fun – Some Nights
- Mumford & Sons – I Will Wait
- The Cab – La La
- David Guetta featuring Sia – Titanium
- Matt Nathanson featuring Sugarland – Run
- All Time Low – Time-Bomb
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe
- 98 Degrees – The Hardest Thing / Invisible Man
- a1 – One Last Song / Walking In The Rain
- Bruno Mars – Runaway Baby
- Foreigner – Feels Like The First Time / Waiting For A Girl Like You
- Of Monsters And Men – Little Talks
- Glee Cast – Hungry Like The Wolf_Rio / Fighter / Boys_Boyfriend / Don’t Speak / The Scientist / Hopelessly Devoted To You / Beauty School Dropout
Posted in music
Tagged 98 degrees, a1, anna kendrick, annuals, blue, darren criss, glee, keane, kj:playlist, one direction, skylar astin, spice girls
Glee Season 2 ended long ago and I remember it fondly because it introduced Darren Criss and the Warblers!
- I Want To Hold Your Hand
- One of Us
- Teenage Dream
- Start Me Up / Livin’ on a Prayer
- Stop! In the Name of Love / Free Your Mind
- Forget You
- Singin’ In The Rain / Umbrella
- Marry You
- Hey, Soul Sister
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside
- Bills, Bills, Bills
- Thriller / Heads Will Roll
- When I Get You Alone
- Silly Love Songs
- Somebody To Love (Justin Bieber)
- Don’t You Want Me
- Raise Your Glass
- Get It Right
- I Love New York / New York
- Maroon 5 featuring Christina Aguilera – Moves Like Jagger
- NKOTBSB – Don’t Turn Out The Lights
- The Band Perry – If I Die Young
- Paramore – Monster
- David Cook – The Last Goodbye
- Britney Spears – Criminal
- Katy Perry – The One That Got Away
- Rihanna – We Found Love
- Christina Perri – Jar of Hearts / A Thousand Years
- Bruno Mars – Grenade / It Will Rain
To be honest, I cannot remember much of what happened in the first half of the year except that I was really into My Chemical Romance and The Script (they came to Singapore!!!). Now, at the end of the year, I can tell you Foster The People‘s album, Torches, has made quite an impression on my eardrums. 😉
Take That re-emerged onto my iPod after they contributed to the end credits of X-Men: First Class. Elsewhere, the introduction of the Warblers on Glee Season 2 brought Darren Criss – his amazing form and voice – to our eyes and ears! I’ve never been this excited about a new character before.
Aldous Huxley: After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Yup, it’s nearing the end of the year!
Personally, I think the last days of December goes by the fastest. First it’s Christmas, then it’s New Year’s Eve! This year has been good, I think. First half is me mugging, second half is me enjoying life. And which year can be complete without music?
If I remember correctly, I listened to a lot of Lady Antebellum and Cheryl Cole during my exam period. I have this strange idea that if I listened to it while revising, and if I played it (in my mind) during the exam, it might help me recall whatever I’ve revised. But I’m not sure if it really works cos I only “play” songs to calm my nerves.
“Anything that’s worth having, is sure enough worth fighting for. Quitting’s out of the question, when it gets tough gotta fight some more.”
– Fight For This Love, Cheryl Cole
Sure, Cheryl Cole was singing about love but it sure served as motivation for me.
Here’s some tracks from the above albums that I adore:
- Lady Antebellum – I Run To You
- Muse – Resistance
- Taylor Swift – Speak Now / Sparks Fly / The Story Of Us
- Brandon Flowers – Crossfire / Only The Young / Jilted Lovers & Broken Hearts / Swallow It
- Cheryl Cole – Fight For This Love / Parachute
- LeAnn Rimes – Can’t Fight The Moonlight / The Right Kind Of Wrong + INXS – Need You Tonight
- Lady Antebellum – Need You Now / Something ‘Bout A Woman / Love This Pain / Our Kind Of Love
- The Script – Science & Faith / For The First Time / Dead Man Walking
- Maroon 5 – Misery / Never Gonna Leave This Bed / Runaway / How
- The Black Keys – Chop And Change
- Lady GaGa – Alejandro / Monster / Telephone
- Adam Lambert – Whataya Want From Me?
- Kings Of Leon – No Money / Pyro / Mary
- The Black Keys – Tighten Up / Everlasting Light / She’s Long Gone
- The Script – The Man Who Can’t Be Moved / Breakeven / Before The Worst
- OMD – If You Leave
- Stephen Duffy – She Loves Me
- Kenny Loggins – Footloose
- Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes
- The Pretty Reckless – Make Me Wanna Die
- Landon Pigg featuring Turbo Fruits – High Times
- Daft Punk – Derezzed
- Chairlift – Bruises
- Snow Patrol – Just Say Yes
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes – Home /40 Day Dream
- Eminem featuring Rihanna – Love The Way You Lie
- Taio Cruz featuring Ludacris – Break Your Heart (remix)
- B.o.B. featuring Hayley Williams – Airplanes
- Katy Perry – Teenage Dream
- Melee – On The Movie Screen / The Masquerade
- Carrie Underwood – Cowboy Casanova
- Demi Lovato & Joe Jonas – Wouldn’t Change A Thing
- Timbaland featuring Justin Timberlake – Carry Out
- Justin Bieber – One Time / Baby
- Tokio Hotel – Automatic
Posted in music
Tagged adam lambert, annuals, kings of leon, kj:playlist, lady antebellum, lady gaga, maroon 5, melee, muse, the black keys, the script
Well, Glee Season 1 ended last Wednesday on Ch 5 and I think that’s the beginning of miserable and void Wednesday nights.
So, here’s a list of my favourite songs from this season…
- Don’t Stop Believin’
- Somebody To Love
- It’s My Life/Confessions Part II
- Don’t Stand So Close To Me/Young Girl
- Like A Virgin
- Borderline/Open Your Heart
- Jessie’s Girl
- Gold Digger
- Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Dream On
- Bad Romance
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Posted in music, tv
Tagged glee, kj:playlist